I want to raise awareness about an awesome organization in Arizona: Raising Special Kids (RSK). First, I should disclose my bias. RSK is such an amazing advocacy organization and support for families that I am a Board volunteer. If you have a child with a disability and you need help, information or support with education or healthcare contact RSK.
Their Mission Statement- Raising Special Kids exists to improve the lives of children with the full range of disabilities, from birth to age 26, by providing support, training, information and individual assistance so families can become effective advocates for their children.
Let’s review the basics…
What will it cost me?
- Nothing RSK is supported by grants and private donations
- Only eligibility criteria is a child with a disability under age 26
- No financial/ income requirements
- Serves any disability
Is there a waiting list or a lengthy application process? No
- Easy to do- fill out one short referral form
- Send the form by fax or email
- You will get a call within 48 hours
- All you need to is answer the phone
What do they offer? The support you need to succeed for your child's lifetime.
- Parent-to-Parent Support in all areas
- 300+ families each year are connected with "mentor" parents trained by RSK to support and teach advocacy
- Special Educational Advocacy and Connections, Family Support Specialists
- Referrals to Arizona Early Intervention, and IEP Partners
- Workshops on many important topics
- Turning 18- Legal Options
- Positive Behavior Support
- Bullying Prevention
- IEP Training
- Preschool to Kindergarten Transitions
- Parent/Professional Collaborations
What about Healthcare? Naturally they know how important that is.
- Family-to-Family Health Information Center
- Health Care Financing
- Medical Home
- Early & Periodic Screening
- Navigating Community Services
Can they help with my older child? Yep, they wouldn't ignore that challenging time.
- Transition to adult systems of care
- Resources on Adolescence/Puberty
- High School Transition Information
- Employment Resources
- Legal Options at Age 18
- Healthcare Transition
- Family/Professional Partnerships
Is there any assistance for our newborn? Of course, this is where the journey begins.
- NICU Binder
- Family support
- healthcare advocacy
Get to know RSK through all of their resource avenues
- Follow the Monday Memo which full of excellent information.
- RSK Website- is full of amazing information and resources
Find us online at our website and on Facebook. Authored by Attorney Jennifer Kupiszewski Here comes the disclaimer: we are lawyers, so this blog offers both legal information and answers to common questions. However, we are not your lawyers, so reading this blog does NOT create an attorney-client relationship; it is information and not advice.